This is a wonderful idea.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I once tried to do a sub-synching app, where I only looked at the time difference between individual lines. I put it on ice after a short time, finding other stuff to do....

Your idea has far better potential. So far, it works -fairly- well, as I see it.
However, I think that the the result would benefit from:
  • When there are matching lines in the synched (S) and the translated (T) sub, the (T) line should get the exact start time from (S); no reason to compromise. In my tests with subs where the first (S)s and (T)s are exact matches, they still can end up with times that are quite far apart.
  • From the time span between exact matches, it can be calculated if (S) or (T) is "faster" than the other. The difference in speed should be the same in the whole video. Whenever the difference is smaller or bigger than usual, there most likely is a commercial break or a cut (editorial or censorship).
  • In case there is a speed difference between (S) and (T), the start times of the lines between exact matches can be adjusted accordingly.
PS. I tried fooling around with the settings, but to be honest I couldn't really sort them out. Maybe there is something there that I missed.

Greetings from Sweden